Skip to main content

Of animals and loubotins: being stereotyped in the workplace

Stereotyping
Stereotyping is when you judge a group of people who are different from you based on your own and/or others opinions and/or encounters.

Have you ever experienced being stereotyped? Or just that same exact feeling when you felt that a separatist queen bee have gone all cuckoo and decided to categorized you by colors? yeah, that's how i felt... After a long long day at the jungle i call my "workplace", i've experienced the worst kind of stereotyping i've ever had in my whole life...and damn, i felt like shit... not just an ordinary kind of hateful ordure but the worst kind of filth that can burn the whole humanity kind.

MY EXPERIENCE
In our jungle's assembly, the whole kingdom of animals (us) were asked to attend the induction of new animalistic rules by kind (department), water animals, land based animals and airborne animals attended the gathering...and to my surprise and dismay, upon walking in into the assembly place, "we" the unruly lowlife non-permanent species were separated from the permanent rulers of the kingdom...as if i had a choice right? so i sat unto one of the benches together with my kind of species, the bullied ones, the new kids in the block, the ones that doesn't have any sort of contract to choose from, the ones that were only there to fill in the gaps... i mean what the hell right? how could a bureaucratic agency be like this? i felt like shit, i felt like my heart leaped into some kind of madness and anger, it felt as if we're shoes being sorted if i am a designers shoes or if i'm just the cheap ones that you can buy for 100 bucks...we were louboutins separated from the regular stall and into the sale box ,... being deemed by the judging eyes of the ranking (permanent) animals...again, WHAT THE HELL right? its as if the separation and distinction would help us understand the rules...
and so the assemble begun, with my heart on my sleeve, i tried so hard to show my poker face (the one that says, wtf am i doing here face!), the ruling queen been of the jungle begun her gracious opening spill, as if her blood colored lips would brighten my day, she begun speaking..and the first sentences that came out from her blood shot rim was about RESPECT! she said that she called upon this assembly in order for us (pertaining to the low life species without a contract or permanent positions) to regain the word RESPECT to our superiors...as she goes on and on about emphasizing her ill mannered speech about her school spirit my mind just translated her words from being a hater to hearing her libretto into some kind of gibberish bullshit she calls "an opening remark"...

MY TAKE
I am 22 years old and in my 22 years of existence in my life, i have never been treated like the way Regina George from Mean Girls treats people in their school... JUST NOW. I felt like i was branded. i was stereo-typed. and whats worst is, i was branded because of my status in the jungle. i mean, how does a person eat, live and breathe with that kind of insensitive thinking? i mean, i know i'm being so PMS-ish right now, but i don't get the point where you have to be separated by status and still be able to talk about respect in the same paragraph. For me one vital point of RESPECT is when you treat people equally, whether they are poor, homeless, uneducated, contractual or a bum. you treat them equally. In my case, i felt like branded in a wrong marketing way. I am a graduate of a prestigious school that has the reputation of having a tuition fee that can buy you a car in 3 semesters, i am a grad student of the same institution that bleeds green and for boasting sake (this one is for her) i've also enrolled and studied in their blue lagoon they call a university, and so i felt really bad, i mean my educational credentials are not that bad, i don't boast about my social class but i speak better than other people we know, i know the difference and right pronunciation of F and P, or V and B... but my point is, teaching about respect and separating people's sit base on their classes is just so unfair and inhumane, it doesn't only depict the right meaning of the words, but it is also abundantly obvious that the notions are both contrasting and insensitive. I just hope you wont feel this kind of feeling, coz if you'll do feel it, i tell you..you'll feel like a shoe being sorted by brand when at the end of the day you're all the same exact footwear with the same purpose, just a different design. 

N.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff:Jan 16' #ReadingStash

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff: Omnibus Special Edition (Don't Sweat the Small Stuffs,  DSTSS at Work and  DSTSS about Money) After a boring day at the pad, i met up with my best friend (call her halfsies) over our traditional coffee and junk food session- which takes about 2-4 hours max, i was very glad she was back in the city coz i truly missed her. Anyway, after our our session we randomly decided to go the bookstore near my place to check out books - we never really planned to buy anything but lo and behold one book literally shined - and this is the book by Richard Carlson "Dont Sweat the Small Stuff", so i decided to buy it. Within an hour of reading the book, i was already feeling the aura of changing stuffs in my life, can you believe it that within an hour i was so damned into the book that i read 100 pages of it. God it so good. So i'll just leave it her, just so if anyone of you wants to ask me what book should you read to start the year right, i

Unsaid Thoughts

This is past few months has been quite challenging for me, my personal life is infact, a whirlwind in the literal sense, there's the moments of me almost giving up my job, for i dont feel very much compensated, i mean, dont get me wrong, i love the job i am in, it doesnt pay well but the experiences and the fact that though i am young, and i am able to handle different projects (several in fact) that young ones cannot chance upon, i love my job, the people i work with and my ever resilient, very powerful woman boss that i have. But as a millenial, there are moments when you even think if you even want to continue what you are doing, there are the quarter life crisis moments lingering at the back of your head, whispering fuck up thoughts telling you to quit and  move on, to a greener pasture perhaps? or maybe a job that will tell you that you are worth it and that you are important. You know, a girl gotta have her spare coins to waste, but in my case, i dont have any, i have bee

Lying to be Perfect

We are all Cinderella no matter what size, within each one of us there is unique beauty and grace. Finding that beauty, however, isn't easy. See, Cinderella had to first recognize that the problem wasn't her evil step mother. The problem was that it was easier to hide out cleaning the house than to go out and find happiness. She needed a fairy-godmother to empower her with the kind of self-confidence it takes to reject the insecurity brought on by unrealistic, over cheating, air brush, anorexic princess images in the media.  - Nola (Lying to be Perfect) Here I am, wrapped fabulously in my black aero shirt and skimpy leggings staring at my figure in a full mirror at my pad, yeah I guess this isn’t the best I could pull off from my disaster of a closet, but moreover the real reason I am blogging right now is that because I came into a conclusion in my life… and believe me when I tell you that this is a big thing for me. After watching the Cinderella Pact starring